Wednesday, June 6, 2007

On Aging

"A man's age is something impressive, it sums up his life: maturity reached slowly and against many obstacles, illnesses cured, griefs and despairs overcome, and unconscious risks taken; maturity formed through so many desires, hopes, regrets, forgotten things, loves. A man's age represents a fine cargo of experiences and memories."
~Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Wartime Writings 1939-1944, translated from French

I'm now 23 years old. "Mon anniversaire" passed rather uneventfully. Went to school, came home, ate lunch, took a nap, bought some toothpaste, ate 2 packs of PIMS single-handedly, and then had an International birthday dinner with a few friends from Mexico, France and Spain. I heard the equivalent of "Happy Birthday" sung in 4 different languages. The most entertaining was English, due to the heavy accents.

At the end of the day, it was just another ordinary day (as birthday's tend to be) and it was absolutely perfect. As I did a mental summary of the past year of my life, and then reflected on the past 23 years, I decided that, for me, the ordinary things about life are what make it truly extraordinary. Basically, it's the simple things happening every moment that add beauty and dimension to our lives.

So here's to the ordinary things that have made my life "a fine cargo of experiences and memories"!

Sunshine * Laughter * Sisters * Being pulled in a kayak behind a speedboat at Lake Powell * Having a family plan that lets me call my mom whenever I want * Watching movies from Netflix and ordering in dinner with Jenn * Attempting to diet and failing miserably * Running * Being outside * Putting on makeup and getting ready to go out * A fantastic first date * Sharing ice cream with my girlfriends while venting about the ridiculous boys in our lives * Not having to set the alarm clock * Reading a good book * Crying when you haven't let yourself in months * Thinking * Making lists * Getting emails * Watching a sunset * Going to church * People-watching * Playing piano * Learning something new * A hot shower * Pedicures * Going shopping * Cafe Rio * Having a bad day and knowing that somehow life has to get better * Working with a singer * Talking politics * Staying in when it rains * Making plans and setting goals * Failing often and succeeding sometimes * Always waking up in the morning * Having someone smile at you * Trying something new * Loving someone

Life's not perfect. This year of my life's been far from it. But if I had to give a summary of my life today, it would be extraordinary. And I owe it all to the amazing people in my life and the extraordinary beauty of "every-day," ordinary living. Let's see if I feel the same at 24. :)

"We turn not older with years, but newer every day." ~Emily Dickinson

PICS: Marie-Therese, Marie, Daniele and I at my birthday party.
The hideous pair of slippers that Daniele gave me for my birthday. She rocks!

2 comments:

  1. Steph you are a wonderful writer and I hope that when you get home you will copy your entries and put them in a journal for your children to read. You make my day for sure! By the slippers are hilarious and your HAIR! It's so light! You like the ladies in the picture! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a mention!! Yay! Oh yes, Happy Birthday again. Kenny says hello and sends you birthday wishes too. Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...